The FREEDM Systems Center continues to develop partnerships with middle and high schools in four states to increase awareness of the importance of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) and renewable energy systems. Our efforts help create an informed and technologically literate society and future workforce. A network of connections exists between industry members, faculty, graduate students, undergraduate students, teachers and high school students.
We are developing and assessing long-term partnerships with students and teachers in order to:
- Enhance teachers’ engineering content knowledge and pedagogical methods.
- Bring engineering concepts to the classroom.
- Involve pre-college students in research.
- Increase enrollment of diverse domestic students in university degree programs.
Our activities include:
- Expert Classroom Visitor Programs where FREEDM Systems Center graduate students lead pre-college students in an engineering laboratory experience focused on renewable energy, and
- Research Experience for Teachers (RET) which includes curriculum development workshops and research experiences.
If you are interested in applying to one of our programs, please complete the FREEDM 2017 Application. The application deadline for pre-college programs is May 6, 2017.
|Arizona||Carl Hayden High, Phoenix|
|Florida||Accepting applications from Leon County|
|Missouri||Rolla High School, Rolla|
|North Carolina||Accepting applications from following counties:
Chatham, Durham, Harnett, Johnston, Wake