The GEH testbed is a physical, fully operational FREEDM System at a scale that demonstrates functionality of key components, validates the operational concept including communications and control functions, and confirms key underlying theories. This physical system will also be used to evaluate future hardware and software that complement the FREEDM design.
The Principal Investigator for this project is Dr. David Lubkeman.
Before year 7, the GEH project focused on demonstrating successive generations of the SST, FID, DESD, DRER and residential-load emulator. Since then, the focus expanded to include multi-SST applications with an emphasis on energy management. Year 9 and 10 activities included a multi-SST testbed, single SST residential demonstration, integration of Intelligent Power Management and Intelligent Energy Management applications, and a demonstration of multi-SST islanding and black-start operation. Year 10 also saw the successful integration of DGI onto multiple low-voltage SSTs.
- Z. Shen, M. Baran, “Gradient based centralized optimal Volt/Var control strategy for smart distribution system”, IEEE PES Conf. on Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT), 2013.
- Z. Shen, Y. Shi, M. Baran, “A Decentralized Volt/Var Optimization Scheme for Smart Distribution Systems”, IEEE PES Conf. on Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT), 2016.
- N. Rahbari-Asr, Y. Zhang, and M. Chow, “Consensus-based distributed scheduling for cooperative operation of distributed energy resources and storage devices in smart grids,” IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 1268–1277, 2016.
- R. Akella, F. Meng, D. Ditch, B. McMillin and M. Crow, “Distributed Power Balancing for the FREEDM System,” 2010 First IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, Gaithersburg, MD, 2010, pp. 7-12.
- R. Cisneros, R. Gao, R. Ortega and I. Husain, “PI Passivity-based Control for Maximum Power Extraction of a Wind Energy System with Guaranteed Stability Properties,” International Journal of Emerging Electric Power Systems, Vol. 17, No. 5, pp. 567-573, Sept 2016.
- R. Gao, F. Wang, I. Husain and A. Huang, “An Autonomous Power Management Strategy Based on DC Bus Signaling for Solid-State Transformer Interfaced PMSG Wind Energy Conversion System,” Applied Power Electronics Conference (APEC2016), Long Beach, CA, Mar. 2016.
- R. Gao, X. She, I. Husain and A. Huang, “Solid-State Transformer Interfaced Permanent Magnet Wind Turbine Distributed Generation System with Power Management Functions,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications. Year: 2017, Volume: 53, Issue: 4, Pages: 3849 – 3861.